You have just uploaded a mobile app. She wins membership internally, but you worry – rightly. How to promote its launch? How to reach your customers and prospects, and encourage them to download it? After all the investments that were necessary for its putting on line, it would be a pity that it vegetates in the limestone of the Appstores.
In this article, we will discuss the levers that are available to ensure an efficient launch for your application, and try to define a typology that is as clear as possible.
These levers can be classified into 4 major families, depending on whether they are addressed:
– Has prospects or clients already on mobile VS. on other information and communication media (television, computer, etc.)
– To your customers on your own sites, ie on different media your digital ecosystem VS. on other sites, on the newsletters of other actors …
1- COMMUNICATING ON MOBILE …
Promoting your application on a mobile medium allows you to optimize its download rate: the user is on the same channel, with only 2 or 3 clicks of your application. This gives your users a smooth, seamless experience.
Promotion through this channel has the advantage of being measurable; it allows you a feedback on quantifiable experience and a good evaluation of the adjustments to be made to improve this communication. In addition, the visibility of mobile advertising is generally good: according to a study conducted by Google and Ipsos , 46% of smartphone users notice an advertisement for the mobile when using an application.
… ON YOUR OWN SUPPORTS, TO YOUR CUSTOMERS
– By a mobile email: Communicating on the mobile with your customers in self-promotion (that is to say on your media) allows you to optimize your download rate. This optimization is maximized when communication with your target is done on a mobile medium: you communicate to a target that is acquired to you and without channel break.
An economical and efficient solution for this purpose is to communicate with your database via an email promoting your application, in responsive mobile. The email will adapt to the terminal on which it is read (web or mobile).
If the rate of equipment in smartphones increases more and more this practice, the fact remains that all your base does not necessarily have one, and those who possess one may not have the OS that corresponds to your application (iOS, Android, Windows Phone …).
The installation of a specific tag within your email allows you to go further by detecting the type of terminal on which your email (mobile / web) is read, even specifying the OS. This allows you to send a dynamic banner to your customers who own iPhone, Android … This tag allows you to optimize the download rate by reaching the right target (your customers) by pushing the right message ( the application corresponding to its mobile), then to qualify your base with the criterion “mobinaute”.
– And on your mobile site: a widespread practice of highlighting your mobile app on your mobile site, with action buttons directing to the blinds or a dedicated landing page presenting the application in more detail. screen, list of features and action buttons). Here too, you have at your disposal an economical, simple and effective way to promote your application to a target that knows you.
… OTHERWISE, WITH YOUR PROSPECTS (AND CLIENTS)
It is also possible to promote your application to your prospects, on media that are not yours, with the first requirement to target your message. Several tools are at your disposal:
– Mobile search: Going beyond the simple purchase of keywords on the mobile with the Google service called “Direct Download Ad”, within your AdWord campaigns set in universal campaign. When you see search results on selected keywords, Google offers a result that presents your application in a few lines and redirects to the download url of your application on the store corresponding to the user’s mobile [C1] . To do this, you need to create a campaign with a specific setting that allows you to target your message according to keywords and especially according to the user’s search media (iOS or Android smartphones).
The power of this tool for application downloading may need to be qualified. Indeed, is a user who runs a search on the internet, from his mobile, interested in downloading an application? Does not it rather, to find an application, a search directly on its store (Appstore, Google Play …)?
– Applications promotion directories: These applications are specialized in promoting other applications and highlight their features or promotion (paid applications spend for a short time free of charge). The former market leader, AppGratis, was forced by Apple to close its iPhone application while Apple was releasing its own application last August. Entitled “Apple Store”, it promotes applications, eBook content and iTunes content. In addition to this Apple is communicating daily on the App Store to promote applications. On the Android side actors like Frandroid are doing through their applications the promotion of other applications to a large community.
Warning: this type of directory is much used to have, from the launch of the application, a significant number of downloads, and thereby attempt to go up in the blinds classification by striking strongly punctually. The race for downloads should not make us forget the primary purpose of an application: that it is useful and therefore used. We will see in a next article how Google and Apple weighted, for their classification, the criterion of the number of downloads by a criterion of use of the application.
Note: in recent months it is now possible to track the number of downloads directly from this lever.
– FB mobile: with “Ads for App”, Facebook offers you a tool to promote your application within your own app by choosing the OS (iOS and Android), device (mobile or tablet) and target (age, gender, location, interest) within a given budget. Facebook offers you, in parallel with this system, to install a tracking for these campaigns in order to better control them.
The targeting thus proposed reduces the “watering effect” of a mass communication, doubled with the size of the audience of FB that guarantees you to find your target. In addition, the display of your message is of quality: in the user’s newsfeed, with an illustration, text and a call to action, without it being intrusive for the user.
– Display mobile: a classic way to promote your applications to other applications / mobile sites, hubs in your industry, using formats such as interstitials and banners. The display makes it possible to target your communication on the right media, with formats that are increasingly innovative (HTML5, geolocation …).
The display was one of the first ways to promote applications within other applications. The technologies around the campaigns are developed, and today allow an interesting refinement. On the other hand, users may have become tired of the banners / interstitials with the same interest as a few years ago. However, this remains a reliable means of mobile communication.
2- COMMUNICATING ON NON-MOBILE CHANNELS …
You can of course also promote your application on media other than mobile. However, be careful: there will then be a channel break that will negatively impact your download rate. Moreover, your campaigns will be a little more difficult to measure and therefore to pilot.
– In your points of sale (with QR Code): According to the study by Google and Ipsos, 33% of smartphone users performed a mobile search after they were in the store. The QR code is today one of the only ways to establish a link between mobile and shop.
QR Codes allow you to enhance your application’s highlighting media. According to a study TNS AFMM 2012, in France, the rate of knowledge of the QR Codes is 89% and their rate of use is certainly 53%, at all ages. However, we can wonder about the frequency of the QR Code. This lever is therefore without doubts to qualify because we are here on declarative.
We can expect a marginal effect of the QR Code, but that does not mean that it is not worth using it, its price being negligible, provided that it follows some simple rules (promise clear, call to action, redirection towards a support adapted to the mobile, etc.).
– On your website (web to mobile): 30% of users of smarpthones declare to use their phone while consulting the internet. It can be interesting to highlight your mobile app on your website. One way to alleviate channel breakdown is to set up a “web to mobile” module that sends the application download link to the phone number entered.
The promotion of your application on your site does not necessarily aim for its download, but also (and above all?) To reinforce with your visitors an image of modernity by communicating on your presence on the mobile. You will be able to track the number of visits on the page, and the number of clicks redirecting to the corresponding store (s).
– Pub to TV: 52% of smarpthones users report using their phone at the same time as television. There is therefore a use that links the two channels, all the more logical that the viewer is in favorable conditions to connect to the internet.
You can then talk about your mobile app during an advertisement, but this should not be the main message, as the return on investment can be very mixed. It would be a mistake to over-estimate the link between these two channels, but a pity not to take advantage of them.
– Web directories: After the AppGratis app was closed on the Appstore, directories such as Vente-Privée Apps chose to communicate with their target only on the web channel by mail. The system is the same as on the mobile, communicating on an application to a community. Vente-Privée communicates on one application per week provided that the publisher makes it free if it is paying or offers gifts if it is already free. You have the possibility to refine the target of this shipment according to your criteria to reach your target as closely as possible. For a price between 5 and 15 000 euros, the number of downloads is estimated between 5 and 25 000.
This system has met with rapid success with advertisers. But as in the case of mobile directories, beware of straw fires, the race for downloading should not be the only goal. A communication plan must be put in place to generate new downloads over time. Web directories are solutions of spot recognition, and should be considered as such.